Frequently Asked Questions

The following information should answer your most common questions, but if you still need assistance please call 1-800-555-5555 or visit our contact page for more information. 

Ohio Works First

Who is eligible?
Families with earned income who do not currently participate in Ohio Works First, (OWF) and who have not participated in at least one of the previous four months, must meet a “gross monthly income test” for eligibility. Gross monthly income includes unearned income and earned income before taxes. The gross monthly income limit for a family of three is currently $796, but this increases annually. If a family member works and pays for child care, the actual verified cost of child care can be deducted. There is no resource limit for OWF because resources are not considered in determining eligibility.  

OWF has the following additional requirements:
  • Adults and minor heads of household must participate in work activities.
  • Minor children in assistance groups and women who are at least six months pregnant may be eligible to receive individual assistance.
  • Children must reside with a parent, specified relative, legal guardian or a legal custodian.
  • Unmarried minor parents and pregnant minors must be in approved adult-supervised living arrangements or live with a parent, legal guardian, specified relative or legal custodian.
  • Adults and minor heads of household who apply for or receive benefits must sign a self sufficiency contract.
Failure to sign the self-sufficiency contract, without good cause, can result in denial or termination of benefits which would affect the entire family. The contract explains the requirements for the participant, the requirements for the county department of job and family services and, if applicable, the requirements for the child support enforcement agency and/or public children services agency. 
Who is not eligible?
Assistance groups are not eligible if they include an individual who:
  • Does not sign the self sufficiency contract,
  • Does not comply with the terms of the contract,
  • Terminates employment without just cause while receiving transitional Medicaid or child care benefits,
  • Has income that exceeds the amount for the assistance group size,
  • Has received benefits fraudulently,
  • Receives SSI, or
  • Receives adoption assistance payments or federal, state or local foster care maintenance payments.

Other individuals who are not eligible include:
  • Fugitive felons
  • Probation/parole violators
  • Individuals convicted for fraudulent misstatement of residence in order to receive benefits
How much are payments?
Currently, an OWF payment for a family of three is $458. Benefits are issued through either the Ohio Eppicard, which is a pre-paid debit MasterCard, or deposited directly into a checking or savings account. The Eppicard can be used at MasterCard member banks, ATMs and any retailers that accept MasterCard. 

Ohio Means Jobs Services

What type of services does the Ohio Means Jobs Services offer to Job Seekers?
The following services are designed to help job seekers find and maintain employment. Services are free and include: computers, fax and phone to aid job search, training in beginning computer use, tools to create a resume and prepare for job interviews, career exploration, facts on occupations in demand and wage statistics, information on obtaining a GED or remediation in reading, math and English, and tips on funding for school. The Ohio Means Jobs also offers information and guidance about starting your own business.
Can I apply for Unemployment Compensation Benefits at the Ohio Means Jobs?
The Ohio Means Jobs system does not handle unemployment claims and cannot assist individuals with this issue. To file a claim call 1-877-644-6562 during business hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday or visit
What type of services does the Ohio Means Jobs offer for Employers?
The Ohio Means Jobs and its partners can help companies find qualified employees and provide training and other resources to employers. Services include recruitment, employee training, retention services, and rapid response to help employers with critical need.

Job Access and Reverse Commute (JARC)

Is JARC available on the weekends and evenings?
JARC may be available on the evenings and weekends. Please contact them at 330.424.4015 to discuss your transportation needs. 
What if my child has to go to Child Care?
Along with providing transportation to and from your work assignment, schooling or place of employment, JARC may be able to include drop off and pick up of your child at child care. Talk to a transportation specialist for details.
Where can JARC take me?
JARC can provide transportation to and from paid employment, schooling or an OWF assignment from any town in Columbiana County to any destination in Columbiana County.

Summer Youth Employment

When will my W-2 Form be mailed?
Callos is our contracted payroll processing company. Callos will mail all W-2’s on or before January 31st.
When will I get paid?
Click to download the Summer Youth pay schedule.
I have not received my paycheck. My Paycard will not activate? I have not received my permanent Paycard. I lost my Paycard, what do I do?
Please call Callos for all questions regarding your pay. Callos phones: 330-788-4001 or toll free at 800-422-5567.
What do I do with a Worker’s Compensation Claim?
There is a Worker’s Compensation folder inside your SYEP Worksite information packet. Please follow the instructions on the Memo page attached to the front of the forms. The accident must be reported within 24 hours of the injury. Forms must be faxed to Callos within three (3) days of the injury.  

If you have misplaced your worksite information packet; please call Callos at 330-788-4001 or toll free at 800-422-5567.
How do I get blank Timesheet Forms?
Click to download a Time Sheet: SYEP timesheet-2013.

Senior Work Program

At what age can I use this Program?
You may submit an application at the age of 55 or older.  Eligibility is based on age and annual income of the applicant.
How many hours a week can I work?
We currently have a budget for 16 – 20 hours per week depending on how many people we have participating in the program.
Is this a Permanent Job?
No, this program is designed to provide community service placements to help you gain knowledge and new skills for you to gain employment outside of this program. You will be placed at a participating agency and will work there for no more than 1 year. At that time, we will assess what new skills you have learned to be able to gain unsubsidized employment.
What happens after my year is up and I don’t have Unsubsidized Employment?
You may stay in this program for up to 4 years. At that time, if you have not obtained employment you will be exited from the program.  We will work with you to develop a transition plan to assist you in finding employment.