The following information should answer your most common questions, but if you still need assistance please call 330-424-1471 or visit our contact page for more information.

Assistance Programs FAQs

What is the number for the Direction Card Customer Service?
The toll free number for clients is 1-866-386-3071.
Is there a website where clients can check their accounts?
The website they can access is www.ebt.acs-inc.com. Note: You will need to use Internet Explorer or Firefox 4 or above to view the site.
A vendor wants to be able to accept the Direction Card at their store. Who should they contact?
The first step is to be certified by the Food and Nutrition Services. They can call 1-877-823-4369, toll free, to get more information and request an application. If they have internet access, they may find most of the answers to their questions, as well as an online application.
After a county authorizes a Food Stamp case, will benefits be available the same day? When will Supplements and Auxiliary Benefits be available?
If a client already has an Ohio Direction Card, SNAP benefits, including auxiliary and supplements, will be routed through batch processing. There will be a batch process each night. Benefits will be credited to the client's account the next day. The client should contact customer service to verify benefits are available in their account before going shopping.
How long will it take to get a new card or a replacement card?
A new/replacement card will be sent by mail in 7 to 10 business days if the client is new to the system. Individuals who have lost or stolen cards will need to contact the EBT Customer Service to obtain a replacement card

Child Support FAQs

Who is eligible to receive Child Support Services?
You are eligible for services if you are a resident of Columbiana County and/or have a support order in Columbiana County. Some services require a IV-D application. Anyone who receives cash assistance is automatically eligible for services. All services are available at no cost.
I’m applying for Cash Assistance. Will that affect my Child Support?
Yes, if you receive cash assistance your support payments will be sent to the state. If you don’t have a support order you are required to cooperate with CSEA to establish an order.
What is the Administrative Processing Fee?
The Administrative Processing Fee is a 2% fee charged monthly on orders that are maintained by the CSEA.  The fee is established by state law. 
How do I update my address / employer / phone number / etc.?
You are required to report such changes in a timely manner.  Please access the OCS Child Support Customer Service WebPortal at https://jfs.ohio.gov/Ocs/CustServWebPortalWelcome2.stm to send a message to your case manager or send the information in an e-mail to Columbiana_Child_Support@odjfs.state.oh.us
How can I find out if I have a payment?
You can call the Automated Payment Line toll-free at 1-800- 860–2555. You will set up a pin number the first time you call and enter this number each time you call. This insures that the information is only given to the parties involved. The payment line will tell you the date and amount of the payment that has been received. 

For case specific information, including a payment history please visit the OCS Customer Service Web Portal.

If you have the child support payment card, you can call toll-free 1-855-279-2744 to find out what funds are available or for other customer service options such as replacing a lost card or getting a printout. You can apply for the child support debit card with this application form link https://oh.smartchildsupport.com and it can also be used for setting up direct deposits into a bank account.
How do I make a payment?

You can make a payment with cash, check or a money order at our office at 7989 Dickey Drive, Lisbon, Oh 44432 between 8am and 4:00pm, Monday through Friday.

- OR -

You can send a check or money order to:
PO Box 182372
Columbus, OH 43218-2372
Please list the following information on the payment:

  • CSEA SETS Case number
  • Court Order number
  • Social Security Number of the Non Custodial Party

This ensures that the payment will be applied to the proper child support case.

You can pay online from your bank account or credit card at https://oh.smartchildsupport.com

How can I get a payment history?
Please visit the Child Support Customer Service Web Portal at http://jfs.ohio.gov/Ocs/CustServWebPortalWelcome2.stm .  At that site you will be able to access and print a payment history as well as other information about your child support case.
Why is my payment late?
If your payment is generated from an Income Withholding order to an employer or financial institution we are not able to take any action unless the payment is at least 5 business days later than expected.  However, if you believe there are other factors that may be contributing to the late payment such as a change in the Non-Custodial Party's employment status, please contact your Case Manager.
Why didn't I get the full amount this time?
There are several reasons why you may not have received a full payment.  Possibly the Non-Custodial Party did not work a full schedule and the employer was not able to withhold the entire amount.  Another reason may be because you have already received the full amount of support due you for the month.  In that case all or part of an additional payment may be applied to arrearages due the state or to administrative fees.
Why can't I get through to my Case Manager? 
Your Case Manager is responsible for hundreds of other cases.  He/She will make every attempt to return your call as soon as possible.  When you leave a message please be sure to provide clear and complete contact information as well as your SETS number or your SSN.  Visit the Child Support Customer Service Web Portal at http://jfs.ohio.gov/Ocs/CustServWebPortalWelcome2.stm for specific payment information.  General information can also be found on this website, the Columbiana County DJFS website.
How do I get a Child Support Order started?
If you do not currently have a child support case you can access the Establishment Packet on this web site by going to Support Establishment.  To begin the process, complete the packet and return it to the agency.  If you are in the process of filing paper work with the court to establish a child support order, you do not need to complete the packet.  The Child Support Agency will receive a copy of the order once it has been filed.
How do I get Genetic Testing?
Private genetic testing can be completed by contacting and paying a genetic testing lab directly.  To establish paternity legally through genetic testing, you can apply for services from CSEA, and the agency will schedule and conduct genetic testing. Visit Paternity Establishment on this website.  You are encouraged to contact the agency to discuss your specific situation.
How can you make him/her pay?
The Child Support Agency has many tools and initiatives that we utilize to collect child support payments.  We base enforcement actions on specific case circumstances.  It is our goal and intention to collect child support on every case.  As we endeavor to do so we sometimes encounter barriers and situations that prove difficult to overcome.  In these cases, we may attempt several different enforcement actions in order to find one that is effective.  We will continue to provide collection services as long as there is money due on a case.  We rely on information that the Custodial Parent is able to provide to us.  If you have location information or employment information please access the Child Support e-mail from this website and send the information to the agency.  Please visit our Enforcement page.
When does my order stop?
In Ohio, the current child support order typically stops when your child has turned 18 and has graduated, or turns 19 and has continuously attended an accredited high school.  The court can deviate from these guidelines.  Visit our Terminations/Emancipations page.
My child now lives with me, can I stop paying?
You must contact any attorney to petition the court for a change of custody order.  You may petition the court on your own but your documents must accurately reflect the format and the information required by the court.
What is Cash Medical?
Cash medical is an order, separate from the Child Support Order or the Medical Support Order, that is added to a case with the intent that it will be used for extraordinary medical expenses not covered by health insurance.  

Child Abuse & Neglect FAQs

What are Abuse & Neglect?
Abuse is an act inflicted against a child which causes injury. It could be physical, sexual or emotional. 

Neglect is a failure to act on a child's behalf. It may not produce visible signs, and it usually occurs over time. Neglect can be physical or emotional.
Who should report Abuse or Neglect?
Anyone who suspects or knows a child has been maltreated or is at risk of abuse or neglect is encouraged to make a report. This includes family, friends and neighbors. Professionals who work with children, such as school employees, counselors and medical practitioners, are required to report. The identity of the reporter is confidential and will not be revealed unless a court determines it necessary.
At what age can a child be left at home? How long can a child be left alone?
When determining the appropriateness of leaving an older child alone, there are many factors to consider:
  • The child's age and maturity.
  • Responsibilities expected of the child.
  • The child's knowledge of safety techniques.
  • The length of time and the time of day the child is left alone.
  • The proximity and accessibility of trusted adults.
The important question to ask is, "Does the situation place the child at risk of harm?" If you are unsure, err on the side of safety.
Do you remove children from their homes?
We do everything we can to keep families together whenever possible. When parents cannot provide a safe home for their children, we first look for other relatives or friends for help.
If a child is removed, will he/she ever get to go home?
Parents are required to work a case plan which is designed to help eliminate the risks and safety concerns that led to removal. The Court evaluates progress when deciding whether to reunite the child.

Ohio Works First

Who is eligible?
Families with earned income who do not currently participate in Ohio Works First, (OWF) and who have not participated in at least one of the previous four months, must meet a “gross monthly income test” for eligibility. Gross monthly income includes unearned income and earned income before taxes. The gross monthly income limit for a family of three is currently $796, but this increases annually. If a family member works and pays for child care, the actual verified cost of child care can be deducted. There is no resource limit for OWF because resources are not considered in determining eligibility.  

OWF has the following additional requirements:
  • Adults and minor heads of household must participate in work activities.
  • Minor children in assistance groups and women who are at least six months pregnant may be eligible to receive individual assistance.
  • Children must reside with a parent, specified relative, legal guardian or a legal custodian.
  • Unmarried minor parents and pregnant minors must be in approved adult-supervised living arrangements or live with a parent, legal guardian, specified relative or legal custodian.
  • Adults and minor heads of household who apply for or receive benefits must sign a self sufficiency contract.
Failure to sign the self-sufficiency contract, without good cause, can result in denial or termination of benefits which would affect the entire family. The contract explains the requirements for the participant, the requirements for the county department of job and family services and, if applicable, the requirements for the child support enforcement agency and/or public children services agency. 
Who is not eligible?
Assistance groups are not eligible if they include an individual who:
  • Does not sign the self sufficiency contract,
  • Does not comply with the terms of the contract,
  • Terminates employment without just cause while receiving transitional Medicaid or child care benefits,
  • Has income that exceeds the amount for the assistance group size,
  • Has received benefits fraudulently,
  • Receives SSI, or
  • Receives adoption assistance payments or federal, state or local foster care maintenance payments.

Other individuals who are not eligible include:
  • Fugitive felons
  • Probation/parole violators
  • Individuals convicted for fraudulent misstatement of residence in order to receive benefits
How much are payments?
Currently, an OWF payment for a family of three is $458. Benefits are issued through either the Ohio Eppicard, which is a pre-paid debit MasterCard, or deposited directly into a checking or savings account. The Eppicard can be used at MasterCard member banks, ATMs and any retailers that accept MasterCard. 

Ohio Means Jobs Services

What type of services does the Ohio Means Jobs Services offer to Job Seekers?
The following services are designed to help job seekers find and maintain employment. Services are free and include: computers, fax and phone to aid job search, training in beginning computer use, tools to create a resume and prepare for job interviews, career exploration, facts on occupations in demand and wage statistics, information on obtaining a GED or remediation in reading, math and English, and tips on funding for school. The Ohio Means Jobs also offers information and guidance about starting your own business.
Can I apply for Unemployment Compensation Benefits at the Ohio Means Jobs?
The Ohio Means Jobs system does not handle unemployment claims and cannot assist individuals with this issue. To file a claim call 1-877-644-6562 during business hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM Monday through Friday or visit http://unemployment.Ohio.gov
What type of services does the Ohio Means Jobs offer for Employers?
The Ohio Means Jobs and its partners can help companies find qualified employees and provide training and other resources to employers. Services include recruitment, employee training, retention services, and rapid response to help employers with critical need.